Wednesday 23 May 2012

If Bob say's it's ok!


I had forgotten what the sun felt like. I walked out on to the roof with bare feet yesterday, and had to do a kind of hop, skip and jump back inside as my feet melted to the slabs. It’s very exciting.
The Roof has been a hive of activity since my last post. We’ve had sparrows, wagtails and some very noisy duck guests that left a few beak-shaped holes in some pots. I think they were after the vermiculite.






I finally got my tomatoes in. When I uncovered the plastic sheeting I found that my worm compost was obviously full of tomato seeds. You can see them all around the lettuce in the picture below. And I was trying to be so restrained on lettuce this year.



It’s all starting to get quite colourful now. The Antirrhinum is putting on the best show so far.


But also we have some rather confused daffodils, which I can only imagine were as disappointed with the spring as we were.


I was listening to Gardeners’ Question Time the other day and they were talking about growing watercress in containers. So, inspired by all the rain, I thought I give it a go.



It seems pretty straightforward. These seedling containers float so I’ve put a tiny amount of soil in and the seed. So, instead of the water moving, the tray does. If this works (and Bob Flowerdew says it does) it’s going to be amazing. I may even try and get my hands on a tray with 4 sides.
The good thing about being completely surrounded by neighbours is it shames me into be a bit neater – and my pea sticks were in a terrible mess. 


I’m not really known for being neat and tidy so I had to share this. I was very pleased with myself.


The little Swedish peas have started to flower, and are white but with beautiful green veins.


The brilliant new strawberries are also cracking along; I think they sensed that we are shortly due to go on holiday, as that seems to be when they always ripen.

Happy Gardening.

1 comment:

  1. All looking gorgeous as ever! Glad your peas are doing well. Guess what...me and El got a plot!! At long last, been on the waiting list for years! Its so exciting and we've got loads in already and we've only had it two weeks! Looking forward to catching up with the roof garden posse in June! xxx

    ReplyDelete